Wednesday, July 9, 2014


Today for our cultural activity the class went to a really cool museum and Wu Shan Square together!! We went into an on building where the emperor used to come and do work. We also saw the first public library in China!!! Then we toured around a building displaying a lot of ancient artifacts, mostly pottery that had been found in Hangzhou. It was amazing to be looking at something that was made thousands and thousands of years ago. And each color and carving in the pottery had a meaning to it. Like at one point, the wealthy Chinese painted many porcelain pieces green because they were trying to create the image of jade. Its suprising to think that these thousands of years ago, the people didn’t know all about chemistry and everything, but they still figured out how to make perfect pottery, which is all about chemistry.

ancient desk of emperor
ancient Chinese pottery
 

Then we went to WuShan Square for a little bit. There are lots of little shops and things to look at. I tried to bargain for the first time but the seller was really not interested at all in bargaining with me. I don’t know why, but I feel like it’s because I’m a foreigner. People have been taking pictures of my classmates and I all the time, especially my blonde classmates! Sometimes, people even pose with us, or pose in front of us while getting their picture taken. Haha! Oh and I’ve heard A LOT of “wai guo ren!!!!” which means “foreigner(s)!!!”

For dinner, my host sister and mother and I went to a little restaurant in the mall. The food was AMAZING. There was sooo much food and the entire meal only cost 40 US $!!! And we took home 3 boxes of leftovers! My family is SO nice and sweet and funny. I am so grateful for them and their hospitality!!!!
delicious dinner! I love my host family!
cute "bao zi's" decorated like pigs!
 

p.s. Dodo, the familys dog, eats everything. He eats ice cream, noodles, dumplings, sweet and sour chicken, apples, and tofu! I can’t believe they feed him all of this…

No comments:

Post a Comment