Saturday, July 12, 2014

2 weeks in!

I can't believe it's already been 2 weeks here! It feels a lot longer actually, but the program is already 1/3 of the way over, which is really sad! I've been having a blast so far!

For our cultural activity on Thursday we were introduced so several foods that Hangzhou is famous for. Zhejiang cuisine is one of the "8 Great Cuisines of China", and Hangzhou flavor is a specialized part of Zhejiang cuisine. Since they have access to lots of fish, many of the foods here include fish or other seafood like eel and shrimp. They also emphasize sweetness (I have had almost everything sweet- they even put sugar on top of raw tomatoes and cucumbers!- but its never too sweet and always tasty). We got to try a few snacks, including green bean cake (liu dou gao), sesame bun (shao bing) and steamed rice cake (bak tong gao), which was actually really good even though "rice cake" sounded weird to me at first!!

On Friday we all went to KTV for or cultural activity. it was pretty fun because there were American songs but there were mostly older American songs. (just by a couple years).




Later that day my mom and sister took me to a restaurant and we had the famous West Lake fish in vinegar sauce (西湖醋鱼) that I have been hearing about! it was good, but I don't like all the bones in fish. I was surprised when I saw them eat the mouth and eyeballs tooo..... I passed on that one, lol.

I also got to go to a swimming pool!! It was indoors, because Chinese people don't like to be exposed to the sun, but it was huge and really crowded. It was a little different than pools that I'm used to because the people weren't really playing around in the pool, either standing there with their children or slowwwwly doing laps. So my host sister and I did laps for a couple hours, but we only got to do a few, because it was so crowded and there wasn't much room to pass anyone in the lane. But it was fun to hang out with my host sister and get to know her better!!!

I can't wait to see what the next week has in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment